Trying to get children to eat veggies can be daunting. One trick I have found with my picky eaters, by bring them into the kitchen and make the recipe fun they will more likely eat it at meal time. Children love to sift flour, break eggs, pour ingredients, use cookie cutters this recipe has it all.
Original recipe provided by Bormioli Rocco Magazine
Translated, Modified, and Americanize by Robin Woods of The Mercantile Co. ~ The Sustainable General Store.
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/4 cups of All Purpose Flour or 00 Flour (Italian Style Flour)
- 1 teaspoon of instant yeast
- 1/3 cup of peas
- 1 large carrot - julienned
- 1 small zucchini -julienned
- butter as needed
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the egg and milk.
- Sift dry ingredients together, flour, yeast and salt. Add to egg mixture and mix until smooth.
- Fold in the peas, carrot and zucchini to the batter.
- Heat a slightly buttered non-stick or well seasoned fry pan
- Pour some of the mixture tipping the pan so that it spreads evenly.
- Cook for a few minutes on both sides are golden brown. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Before serving, cut the pancakes with heart or flower shapes cookie cutters.
Notes: This is a basic recipe and can be modified easily with different herbs and spices to taste. It can be served as a side dish or as a light meal. They reheat well so you can make a large batch and freeze them for a quick snack later.